Make Money Online
Last Updated: April 10, 2011
Note: Although this page will continued to be updated, you should consider checking out my post 142+ Ways to Make Money Online, as it contains a lot of information that isn’t listed here.
This page features a host of online destinations where I’ve found you can make money (online). Some are fairly passive, others require some effort, and the amount of money to be made varies widely (from pennies all the way up to thousands of dollars). Check back often, as this page will be updated on a regular basis.
Ratings: Each passive income source will be rated on a 5 point scale – A higher number means that I believe it to be a better source of passive income and/or it has the potential to generate a decent amount of money.
True Passive Income
Truly passive income is difficult to come by without putting your money at risk, so it’s no surprise that there aren’t a lot of options here.
- Lending Club – This is a website that allows large groups of people to fund loans for other individuals, while receiving a relatively high rate of interest. You can invest in someone’s loan for as little as $25 and earn interest rates up to 18-20% (average is 9-10%). I’ve been using Lending Club for almost two years now, and I love it. Read my review here. Rating: 4.5/5.0
It would be a lie to call the places listed below true sources of passive income. They all require some up-front work, but it varies. Ultimately, money can be earned while you sleep.
Niche Website Creation
- Niche Profit Course – This course shows you a proven way to make money by creating Amazon affiliate niche websites. You can read my review of this course and how I plan to implement it, in this article: How I’m Going to Add $20k/Year to My Passive Income Portfolio Rating: 4.5/5.0
Making Money with Twitter
- MyLikes – If you’re a heavy Twitter user, you might be interested in MyLikes. Essentially, you make money by tweeting ads. The goal is to tweet about things you actually like, so it doesn’t appear to be spam. Read my review of MyLikes here. Rating: 2.0/5.0
- Sponsored Tweets – Much like MyLikes, Sponsored Tweets allows you to make money by tweeting ads, but not necessarily about things that you “like.” In my opinion, this service is better and a bit more refined than MyLikes. Click here to read my review. Rating: 3.0/5.0
- Info Barrel – Info Barrel is a site where you can write articles and earn revenue from the ads embedded within those articles. It’s very easy to get started, and you can publish articles with as few as 400 words. Click here to read about my challenge to earn $2,000 per month with Info Barrel. Rating: 4.5/5.0
- Squidoo – I experimented with Squidoo, an online article platform where users can write articles and make money from them. You can read my posts about Squidoo to determine if it’s a worthwhile source of passive income (see my Squidoo posts here). As of right now, I am pausing my use of Squidoo in favor of trying out other article directories. Rating: 1.5/5.0
Not Really Passive Income At All
These websites allow you to make money online, however they don’t really offer any passive income potential. I’m listing them here in order to provide a more complete listing of ways to make money online.
- Microworkers - This site allows you earn money for performing simple online tasks. These tasks will generally pay between $0.50 and $2.50 and they will usually require 3-5 minutes of your time. Click here to read my review of Microworkers and how I evaluate your income potential by using Microworkers. Rating: 2.5/5.0